How to apply for South African Visa in the Philippines?
It was a bit of a challenge looking for information online as there is no website of South African Embassy in the Philippines. But I found the requirements without having to go through a travel agency.
My experience was quite smooth sailing. The consular assistant was really friendly to me. There were only standard questions asked and I told her about my booking a flight on a whim and seemed to appreciate the story. She received my application and asked me to collect it one week later. I got 28 days visa per my application. But actually I stayed 29 days!
Anyway, here you go, 3-Step guide on how to get a South Africa visa for Philippine Passport holders.
UPDATE: JULY 1, 2017
Starting 2017, applying for South African Visa in the Philippines is handled by VFS Global. Please go to their website by clicking the link. I will update this page when I have time. Thanks for visiting.
Step 1 – Fill Up Application Form for South African Visa [click to download]
Step 2 – Prepare the following documents
- Valid Passport
- Two (2) Passport size photos
- Airline Booking
- Trip itinerary with hotel booking [sample itinerary]
- Proof of sufficient funds e.g. 3 months bank statement, bank book, certificate (original and certified copy)
- Employment Certificate or Business Permit for self employed
- Statement or document confirming the purpose and duration of travel [sample letter]
- Photo copy of passport bio page
- If coming from or traveling through a yellow fever area prior
to arrival to South Africa, a yellow fever vaccination certificate is
*Philippines is not included in the list of yellow fever risk countries.**
Step 3 – Submit Application
South African Embassy, Manila
29 Flr Yuchengco Tower, RCBC Plaza
6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati City
- CONSULAR HOURS: 9:00AM – 12:00NN – Monday to Thursday
- PICK-UP HOURS: 1:30PM – 3:30PM – Monday to Thursday
No need to schedule, just arrive as early as you can. You may need to wait though.
How much is South African Visa Fee?
South African Tourist Visa is free up to 30 days. Visa fee of Php 2,525 for a visit exceeding 30 days. I applied for 28 days.
How many days does it takes to process South African Visa?
Visa processing takes approximately 5 working days. It may take longer when application is referred to South Africa or another mission of verification, or during peak season (June-December)
- Incomplete application will not be accepted. Even if you are just missing a photocopy of your passport.
- This post is only applicable for TOURIST VISA to SOUTH AFRICA. If you are marrying or looking for job, this doesn’t apply to you.
- A bond or deposit of PHP35, 000.00 maybe be asked during the release of VISA and will only be refundable if your condition and status has not been changed. I was not asked for this, but I met some people at the embassy who were.
** on Yellow Fever Certificate
As of 1 October 2011, South Africa requires all travelers journeying from yellow fever risk countries to show proof of yellow fever vaccination by means of a valid yellow fever certificate.
Countries for which a yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for entry into South Africa are Angola, Argentina, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Guinea-Bissau, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, French Guyana, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guyana, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Suriname, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Venezuela, and Zambia.
This also applies to those who have traveled to low risk countries such as Soa Tome and Principe, Somalia, Tanzania and Zambia or have transited through a yellow fever risk country.
Read more about South Africa yellow fever entry requirement here.
Now Go MEET South Africa!